<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Ahhh...I feel so refreshed, after having that day off yesterday. The same goes for Kitch. So, after this blog, I should be able to work on projects and get them done within a timely manner.

Yesterday was a surprising day. After we got back from Target, I got a couple surprise in the mail. A card/letter from my cousin, Susan, and a package from my mom's best friend, Cindy. Susan was basically updating me with news from back home. It's nice to be thought of and receive updates of the family. That was certainly much appreciated. I have to write back to her and tell her what's been going on over here. She's gotta come up here and par-tee!

The package from Cindy was really precious and surprising. I opened the box and the first thing I saw was a name plaque of my mom's at school. I certainly didn't expect that. It was very touching and gosh, was a bit emotional for a moment. Kitch said that when we moved into our new house, we'll set up that plaque in our library/computer room. Awww, so thoughtful of him. That's why I love him! And then, inside the packages were 4 children's book that I had donated to the school...way way back in those days. It was nice to take a short memory lane trip. Mom kept them in her classroom for her kindergartners to read. I guess Cindy didn't know that I had donated them. I guess she had seen my name inscribed in those books and thought to return them to me. And then, she threw in a couple bags of candies...just like my mother used to do. That was very thoughtful of her! Last of all, there was a picture included. It was a picture of my dad, my aunt Mary, and mom's 2 best friends, Michiko and Cindy. They were all dressed in red and it was of a Chinese motif. Cindy wrote saying that it was taken the night of my parents' anniversary. Had my mother lived another month...it would've been their 30th. Wow, imagine how Dad must've felt on their anniversary date.

It was special to know that my mother's students still talk of her. Told me that everyone is doing good with the exception of my aunt Mary, who's still emotional to this day. Well, that's understandable. My aunt Mary is the baby sister of the siblings. My aunt and my mom were the only relatives to live in San Antonio. All others are living in the valley or elsewhere. So, yeah...my aunt is sorely missing my mother, as we all are. Plus, they had a really hard childhood and my mother was their second mother. They've lost their mother like in '98, I believe. And now, my mother is gone. The next oldest sister is in Chicago and that's another LONG story. So, seems that my Aunt Mary is now the next matriarch of the family, on my mother's side that is.

Cindy was the last person I talked to, before my mother passed away. Mom had told me that if she was still living after Christmas, she wanted me to return home. So, the morning after Christmas, I was at the airport...all emotional. And then comes Cindy. It just so happened that her and her husband were at the airport, bound for China. They will become missionaries to China this coming summer. They were flying there to check out their new home and make it Americanized. You wouldn't believe how much their yearly rent is in China...$500! Yes, $500 a year is their rent! Gosh, wish that still exists here in the US. Wouldn't that be so nice? We had a good talk, while we were waiting for me to board.

Mom died 4 days after I flew home. Of course, Cindy was so upset. She couldn't fly back for the funeral. She was stuck in China for 2 weeks. Imagine being across the globe when your best friend has passed away?

Anyways, all that was going through my mind as I was reading Cindy's letter. It's certainly nice to be thought of. I'm definitely gonna send her a thank-you card. I'm looking forward to put up my mom's name plaque in our new home.

ta ta

|