<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Saturday, April 03, 2004

First of all...let me start off with a good news: I've been accepted into the Deaf Studies graduate program! Yay! I'm excited! Now, I have to bust my ass with MD VR and apply for financial aid and quite possible...a loan. I applied to go part-time but if I have to go full-time to get the full support from VR or whatever, then I just may have to do that. 2 years instead of 4. We shall see...

Cliff...oh no no no! How many times do I have to tell ya? Don't make me come over and slap ya! You gave a stats of "Deafies" in your blog. The big "D" in "deaf" implies one is culturally involved in the "Deaf" community. Not everyone, 2.6 million, is "Deaf". Some of them are elderly and are deaf due to old age. Some are deaf due to accidents or sheer stupidity, (such as listening to ridiculously loud music). Bottom line is that there are many causes of deafness. I know you told me, some time ago, that you simply wanted to know how many people are deaf (in the US, I believe...if not in the world). Yet, it's a bit confusing when you say less than 2,000 are enrolled at Gallaudet. Those 2,000 students are Deaf, not just deaf. So, there is a difference. So, when you are talking about deaf students at Gallaudet, then you are referring to those that are Deaf (at least, the majority of the students...since some are deaf, hard of hearing and cochlear implanted). Not every deaf person would be interested about Gallaudet because some of them don't associate their deafness as an identity or take pride in. Some will admit it's a disability. I beleive that's the difference between "deaf" and "Deaf". Deaf people do not see their deafness as a disability as those who are deaf. (Of course, that's not the only difference.)

Anyways, my whole point is that it's hard to pinpoint a survery that will provide a "holistic" statistical number of how many are "deaf" and "Deaf". It's because of a variety of reasons. Not too long ago, Deaf people believe those who went to state residential schools were considered "true Deafies". However, more and more students at Gallaudet, today, are from mainstreamed schools. Also, more and more cochlear implanted students are enrolling at Gallaudet. Are they considered "Deaf"? Think before you answer. Imagine the reaction of Deafies when hearing aids first came out, in the early 1900's. Imagine their reaction when they saw other deafies wearing them. Did they considered them "Deafies"? (Of course, there are many other factors to consider before one is considered "Deaf".)

Anyways...before I go on and on and on...please keep in mind that I'm not belittling you...at all. Just wanted you to know that what you said can be confusing. 2.6 million people are deaf. Cool! About 2,000 Deaf students are enrolled at Gallaudet. Cool! Out of those 2.6 million...only a percentage of them are "Deaf". :-)

However, I will share with you an observation. Seems many of those who are Deaf are not quite aware of the D/deaf thing. Awareness is always needed to be spread around in the D/deaf communities. You know... It's like your job, HIV prevention. I'm sure you'll be shocked to find some people who are still clueless about HIV/AIDS or don't give a shit about it. Right?

Anyways................

Yes, tonight is CobraFest! Can't wait! I'll be leaving this afternoon to go help out the undgergrad bros. set up this event. It'll be cool to hang out.

RT was talking about Sonny in his blog, last night. Gosh, haven't seen that guy in ages! He was in my Spanish class and was a really nice guy. He left Gally before I became a pledge for ASP.

That reminds me...only a few of my pledge bros. are still around. Let's see...me, Cliff, MM (not sure if he's still at Gally...heard he resigned from ASP...after befriending Adan Burke *shudders*) and Bjarnason. Dang! If Bjarnason doesn't show up...just me and Cliff. Well, whadda know? The queens still reign! *high 5 to Cliff* oh wait...that's wrong...it should be...*kissy, kissy on each other's cheeks*

Anyways...better get going and beautify myself for the day.

ta ta

|