<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I got to thinking about my last blog entry from yesterday. I was thinking about how much America has changed within the past few years.

Do you remember the time before "super-sizing" was available? Just about any fast food you go, you can "super-size" or "value-sized" or "biggie-sized" your combo. I mean, really, is that necessary? Must you have extra fries? Yes, I know, they're so good that you almost don't wanna share them with others. Must we have a triple cheeseburger or the Big Mac?

If food really our weakness? Does food really comfort us? The past 2 years I've been really trying to pay attention to what I put in my mouth. It's amazing how much you don't realize how much you're eating or what you're eating. You ever have those moments where you're like..."omg, why didn't I know shit like this when I was younger?" For example, I didn't really know what was protein, starch, carbs, fiber, etc. I'm like...gosh, I feel so stupid for not knowing about things like this.

I think that America is going through a change again, which will impact our eating habits...I hope. For example, since we've been alarmed about the rising percentage of obesity in our land...practically everyone is on the ball to eat healthier. For example, McDonald's has announced they will stop offering to super-size meals by the end of this year. They will only offer it from time to time...you know...like when they have their McRib sandwich specials or Monopoly games. The Atkins and South Beach diets are hot right now. This is like the perfect time to get on the diet, since stores everywhere are now offering low-carb products. Low-carb ice cream, pasta, protein shakes and bars, wraps, bread and so much more.

America is also about looks...more like vanity. Even fat people will criticize other fat people. "Thank God I'm not THAT fat like he/she is." Ridor mentioned in my comment yesterday how he refuse to go to the beach. I can totally understand his feeling about that. I feel like the beach is for skinny people only. I mean...I'll go but then I look at other people and then I get self-conscious. (Well, that's why I've been working on my weight. I know I'm bound to lose some weight before I hit the big 3-0 this summer!) There are some people who go to the beach and they just don't have common sense. Like, for example, I'm sure you've seen a big guy wearing a Speedo "underwear" (what do you call those?). It's like...OMG, you can see his crack 5 miles away! Hello, those aren't for you...ya know. But then again, there are people who just don't give a shit and just do the heck what they wanna do.

See? I'm already criticizing. Are we that judgmental? Or are we just surprised to see people wearing something not meant for them or doing something totally unappropriate?

I'm also not just talking about obesity but appearances as well. As you may recall last week in my blog, I was talking about the show, The Swan. I used the word, fugly. Too strong a word? Would "homely" suffice? But then again, it's not like we told them to get plastic surgeries. They chose to do so. I wonder why...pressures from society? Comparisons? Influences from magazines and televisions? Maybe heard comments from loved ones/friends about them? Feeling inadequate?

I guess that's true when beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me...fugly. To others, either homely or even beautiful. It's funny because sometimes KT and I will see guys and I'll be like..."I think he's cute" and KT will be like "not my type" and vice versa.

I refuse to call myself a bear. Many people (actually, I should say men) have said "you're a bear" or "you should compete, you're a sexy bear". That is forbit! No way in hell am I gonna associate with bears. The majority of bears that I've seen are just...eww! The sexy bears are the ones that are lean and muscular. So, me a bear? FORBIT! Of course, in my mind, bears are perceived to be big, which isn't always the case...but that's me.

So, perceptions play a part in our minds and views of what we see as acceptable or not. They determine for us what is beautiful or not. Sometimes, not even that...it's just the way life or society operates. But, does it pressure us? Shouldn't we all be living a healty life? After all, gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins. As for vanity, strange how it isn't one of the sins, unless you consider it lust, which is define as a desire for the pleasures of the body.

ta ta

|