<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Visual Noise, VBS, Amish... 

The other day, I was reading this one guy's blog about his bad luck with movie theatres. Basically, thank God I'm Deaf and not have to experience hearing people talking in the theatres or hear phone rings.
However, it got me thinking about some incidents at open-captioned movies. The last time was The Hulk in Annapolis. KT and I had arrived a bit late and sat in the back. In front of us were these 3 people. Constantly, they kept checking their Sidekick pagers...you know, the pager lights up when in use...so it becomes a "visual noise". Then, they kept signing to each other...I'm assuming to relay what the page was saying. Again, visual noise. Arggghh! I had been tempted to tap them on their shoulders to tell them to shut the fuck up and stop using the pagers...but they looked young and didn't wanna deal with this "me do do?" attitude. Plus, The Hulk wasn't a good movie. If it had been a worthwhile movie, then it would've been a different story.

This morning, KT and I were driving by this church, on our way to the Metro, and I noticed a sign for Vacation Bible School (VBS). Remember going to VBS? They were usually fun...doing games, making crafts, and winning little prizes. Sorta like "indoor camp".

Saw Amish in the City last night. Pretty good show. It was nice to see that everyone was doing their best to get to know each other. Of course, the exception was Randy, who remained quiet. It was kinda contradictory...at least for Randy. The Amish had complained that the city kids never included them or bothered to try to understand them. So, the city kids...especially Ariel warmed up to the Amish kids and told Randy to speak up or say something every once in a while and yet, he remained silent.
Interesting to learn that Amish do not have any homeless people. Makes sense because they all take care of each other. Also interesting to learn that kids only complete education up to 8th grade. They simply need to know enough to run the community. Enough math to build homes, barns and farming. Satisfactory English to read and write. blah, blah, blah...
I get the feeling that Jonas probably won't return to the Amish community. He seemed interested to continue education by getting a GED and perhaps college. Hmmm...Jonas and Randy are whom I feel won't return to the Amish life. Mose, I'm almost positive, will return to the Amish ways. Miriam and Ruth...I'm not sure. I would say that Ruth is more likely return to the Amish lifestyle than Miriam. Again, it's only been the second episode...perhaps my suspicions will change later on. What do you think?

The part where Reese took some of the guys to volunteer working with the mentally-challenged people was awesome. Not many people would have the guts to do that. It is true that the m-c people are usually brighter than we give them credit for. I've had my share of working with m-c people and usually enjoy working with them.

I know that the Amish kids will be shocked, next week, as they will explore the "rougher" side of LA.

Well...ta ta for now...

|