<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Paranoia, Not Needed... 

Oh boy, with the mini-drama yesterday with some of the bloggers, seemed that the fear was someone stalking them or having no respect. It's like...get over it. They claimed that their lives/blogs are private. I got to thinking some things last night and I was like...guys, you just don't know just how public your blogs are.

First of all, those who have blogs with Blogger will know what I'm talking about. If you go to your Dashboard or your personal homepage and scroll to the bottom of the screen. You will see that Blogger list the 10 recently published blogs. So, everytime that you publish an entry, Blogger will randomly select 10 and lets the Blogger community, which is world-wide, know about it. In fact, this is one of the ways that I've found some of your blogs. So...your blogs never were private nor would they ever be private.

Carrie said it best when she said that if you want your "journal" to be private, then get a journal book or a notebook and pencil away your life. When you're done, hide it under the mattress.

Another good point that Beth said was like...hello, this is the Internet. You can just find anyone, anywhere around the world. Go to any search engine and type in your name and maybe add "deaf" (without the quotation marks) and you'd be surprised with the results.

Ridor brought up another good point..."I got your phone number from the Yellow/White Pages." Opps, was that stealing? Those of you that have a videophone or will get a videophone...omg...be careful...someone is gonna stalk you! (That was sarcasm, in case you didn't decipher that.) There is a website that you can easily get phone numbers or IP numbers for videophones. (Out of respect, I'm not gonna publish the website address...but I do know that the majority of you know that website.)

What else? To answer Jaime's question about how did I know she is Deaf. I know it's bad but your English was a big clue. And your "3" in a picture was the ASL way instead of the hearing way. And many other clues... Also, like I said, you came off in a bitchy and threatening attitude and I don't respond to that...that goes for Desi as well (by the way, I'm not your pal).

As for Heather, she was the nicest of them all...although she did admit she was old-fashioned. So, I would be more likely to honor her request to remove her blog from my blog. (However, I still stand by my ground that blogs are public and people do not have to ask prior to adding links to their blogs. That's just the way life is in the wonderful world of the 'net.) However, I do want to address her point about what if I don't want some people to read my blogs and know every details of my life.
If I didn't want anyone to know about my blog/life, I wouldn't have blogged in the first place. There are things that I don't publish in my blogs because there is always a possibility that there are some people, who I totally dislike, could be reading my blog and in fact, may have added me to their blogs, whether I know about it or not. (I'm not gonna raise hell about it.) Friends of mine, who have blogs, sometime IM me asking if they should blog about this or that and give each other feedbacks. I could've told the whole world about so and so and what's been happening but I don't because I don't want the whole world knowing about it or asking me for more details or because I might regret it down the road. (I will admit that my blog, compared with others, is pretty much bland or G-rated. Although, I do have my moments.) While life is scary, it doesn't help to live every minute of your life in paranoia.
Also, let me clarify that adding bloglinks to my blog isn't an attempt to achieve popularity. As you will see on the side, I have my lover's blog. I have my personal and close friends in their own section. Then the rest are Deafies, however, you will notice there are 3 little "mini-sections" within that section. The first 5 or 6 links there are my frat brothers (of course, some that are listed in Friends are also my frat brothers). The next few 12 or 15 are Deafies that I have met in person or are acquaintances. The rest are Deafies that I have never met or have seen them in various Deaf events but have never personally met them...with the exception of Rita, whom I have corresponded in regards to National ASL Poetry Contest and Grant, which I subscribe to his DeafNetwork e-newsletters for Texans (I'm originally from there) (by the way, Grant, if I heard it right, you're the prez of TAD...if so, congrats!). (That reminds me...I should move Rita and Grant to the top of that last mini-section and move someone else from that section to the middle section.) The purpose of adding these links is basically "networking" and letting other Deafies know that there are other Deafies that are blogging as well. There have been Deafies who have come across my blog and found others, such as long lost friends or classmates or whatever. I've gone to other Deafies' blogs and found others and am thankful for such possibilities.
Also, there is a professor, at Gallaudet, who has just begun researching conversations between Deafies via instant messaging and pagers. I'm just giving you a really short version. So, who knows that some day someone will research Deaf bloggers and this would be a wonderful collection to discover. There is always a possibility for everything and anything...
Anyways, like I said...I'm likely to grant Heather's request to remove her bloglink because she was initially nice about it and was just expressing her concerns, even if they were laced with paranoia.

Anyways, I'll stop for now and blog another time. ta ta...

|