<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Doctor Is In... 

Besides Dear Abby and Ann Landers, Carolyn Hax is my next favorite advice columnist, featuring in the Washington Post. People often ask her for advice in regards to relationships, of any kind. She's featured on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I like some of her advice and have caused me to think about what I would've reacted in some situations.

One thing that I like about that that I don't really see from other advice columnists. She will appear online for any feedback/criticism on Fridays.

Maybe it's just me but I just simply like her and her advices. Usually have to create an account to venture into the Post online. However, I thought I'd post today's column here and see what you think of her advice.

******************************

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

By Carolyn Hax
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 16, 2005; Page C12

Dear Carolyn:

My husband got laid off in 2003. Since then he has floundered through various part-time jobs trying to figure out what to do with his life (he is 28).

He finally figured out he would like to teach and got a full-time sub position at a local school. In the meantime, a fishing trip with his buddies a few states away has been waved in his face. Finally, when he has gotten a foot in the door with full-time employment, he wants to take a week off (and potentially burn bridges) to go fishing. He already went on this same fishing trip a few months ago and can't seem to fathom why I'm against it. Am I wrong to be angry? He has been on what I would consider a vacation for 1 1/2 years.



Fishing for Trouble

Yow. I think my self-esteem felt that one.

And I actually agree with you. Not about his being on vacation, though I suspect that's something you said out of anger and that even you don't believe . . . right?

I agree that after such angst and low-paid suffering, his priority should be his job. If not for his own sake then for yours, since you've had to live with his angst.

Still, you can't make him think like a grown-up. What you can do is ask him to think -- and you can support him if his choice is thoughtful, even if it's not the choice you'd have made.

What I don't suggest you do is harp on it if, ultimately, he merely chooses to be irresponsible. Life is long, his ego is sore and he at least seems to be finding his feet; spare him the lecture unless it becomes clear that his epiphany about teaching was just a ploy to buy more time to fish. Or is it duck.



Dear Carolyn:

A very close friend of mine recently told me he is cheating on his girlfriend. All too common; however, he is cheating on her with her best friend. He tells me he thinks of the best friend as girlfriend material. I told him he has made a promise to his original girlfriend. The thing is, I am just as good friends with her, and she is suspicious. My guilt is killing me. What do I do?



Guilt

Tell your guilt to go kill your self-absorbed friend.

Lucky you, you get to betray a friend here no matter what -- either the guy, by breaking his confidence, or the girl, by telling a lie of omission.

Since he's the one who forced you into this hole, he's the one to betray. Easy one, really.

Except that betraying him would make you a meddler, which you might see as betraying your own character, and I wouldn't blame you. (Next time your friend decides to be a jerk, by the way, please suggest he make it a solitary pursuit this time, like cheating on his diet.)

Since you can't win, hedge. Tell this ex-boyfriend material that he put you in a vile position and needs to get you back out of it. Now. Because if the girlfriend asks you anything even remotely resembling a question about his fidelity, you're going to tell her the truth.

|