<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Monday, February 13, 2006

Magical Thinking 

Image hosting by Photobucket

Augusten Burroughs is hil-fucking-larious!

Magical Thinking had me laughing in various parts of the book. His humor and way of thinking is crazy. He just let out his thoughts without any reservations.

Sometimes, I think like Augusten does but never really share them. I'm always afraid people will go, after listening to me, to KT and say "why haven't had you had Larry committed?"

I had never heard of Augusten until DRY. I admit that I'm one of those people that buy books, of unknown authors, based on "pretty" artistic or photographic covers on the books. It also helps with eye-catching titles. The cover shown in the link for DRY is different than the original cover. The cover had a martini glass with a fish sticking out of it. It was eye-catching for me. I kept telling KT that I wanted it. It was the Christmas holiday around that time. And sure enough, I got it for Christmas. I believe it was last year.

After reading DRY, I knew that I'd be hooked to Augusten's books. So, then I got Running with Scissors, which I absolutely loved about his wacky childhood. Then, got Magical Thinking, about various incidents in his life. (One chapter, "Roof Work", cracked me up to no end.) I also have his Sellevision, his first novel, waiting to be read. (I line my books up in the order they've been purchased or given to me as gifts.)

I'm even more excited because he has another book coming out in May, Possible Side Effects.

If you're in the mood for a good laugh, Augusten will make you laugh!

**********

Read Lemony Snicket #7 & #8, The Vile Village and The Hostile Hospital, respectively.

The Baudelaire orphans continued being passed around to various caretakers, with the exception of #8, where they hid in the hospital. The Baudelaires were sent to a village where everyone was their caretakers since they believed that "it takes a village to raise a child". However, they were actually treated like janitors of the city, rather than children.

Of course, the orphans faced Count Olaf and his henchmen and manage to escape. However, a newspaper has incorrectly declared the orphans as murderers. Therefore, the orphans are hiding, which is how they ended up in the hospital, and trying to clear their names.

Alas, Count Olaf is right behind them.

**********

Image hosting by Photobucket

Coraline was an interesting book.

It's about a little girl who love to explore around. She's often bored since her parents are too busy for her. Her father is always cooking something new from recipes, which she hates. She'll busy herself with tea with 2 old ladies downstairs. A strange old man, who lives above her, keeps telling her about his circus of rats.

One day, she discovers a door, that leads to another world. However, the other world is just the same as this world. She has the other mother and the other father. They love her very much and want her to stay. The problem is that now Coraline wants to go back home and she has to find her way back.

A very interesting "Stephen King-like" book.

I was surprised to discover that this book will be converted to a movie, which is slated for 2007. So far, only Dakota Fanning has been cast as the narrator.

**********

Image hosting by Photobucket

Lord of War is an interesting movie about gunrunning. Yuri Orlav (Nicholas Cage) plays a gunrunner, who started off on the low rung and made it up to one of the top gun dealer as well as one of the richest men.

Yuri narrates about his time as a first-timer in gunrunning, learning the ropes, to the current times. It's about halfway when the movie starts to get interesting, with the Interpol agent (Ethan Hawke) trying to bust his ass and with Yuri dealing with Andre Baptiste.

It's the facts that are shown at the end of the movie that's gonna make your jaw drop to the floor. I was blown away.

I suggest that you see it for yourself.

Oh yeah, this movie is based on some true events.

Well, ta ta for now...

|