<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Social Weekend 

Last Friday night, KT & I hosted a Mexican dinner with Kekua, Manny & Merritt. We just had a good time chatting up a storm along with glasses of margarita and pina colada.

KT & I found a little Mexican store, near home, that sell fajita meats. They had 3 kinds: plain, "pre-treated" with spices and spicy. We got the first two, for now. They were pretty good.

Then, I finally found my mother's recipe for Mexican rice. When she made it, her rice is always gone. Whenever we had gatherings with families or friends, they would always ask her to make her rice. Anyways, before she passed away, she wrote out some recipes to pass on to me. Well, for the longest time, I could not find this particular recipe. I was so excited when I found it!

So, the night comes and I'm making this Mexican rice with glee. After it was done, I tasted it. Bummer! It wasn't like Mom's! Waaahh! But then, I re-read the recipe and Mom had written at the end, "practice makes perfect". I was like...no, I wanted it just like Mom's like now. Ah well. The thing about Mom is that she never had to measure anything, when cooking. She just went with gut feelings. So, it was hard for her to put down precise measurements for the recipes. I guess all other moms do that as well.

Anyways, we had a good time, along with a few rounds of card games.

Saturday was just one lazy day as KT & I watch a marathon of Big Love. I love Nicki, the second wife of the 3 sisterwives!!!

Sunday, our friend, Hilde (now former Powrie V. Chair of Deaf Studies Dept.) hosted a birthday BBQ for her and others who had a birthday in June. It was good to hang out with some friends as well as making new friends.

It never works when you say you're gonna stay for a couple of hours at any Deaf events. We ended up with a 6 hour stay, if not longer. However, it was just fun, fun, fun!

I really wanted to watch the X-Men this past weekend but they were only available in RWC. I just really wasn't in the mood to deal with any possible fuck-ups with RWC, especially when I had been hearing people complaining about their fuck-ups with the Da Vinci Code and RWC. It seems that, lately, the captioning displays, located at the back of the theatre rooms, abruptly shut down.

So, hopefully, the X-Men will be OC'd this weekend. *fingers crossed* But then, again, this weekend is Gay Pride. Maybe I can do both.

**********

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Buddies, by Ethan Mordden, was an enjoyable book to read. Buddies is a fictional collection of vignettes of a man's accounts of gay life in New York City in the 1970's (pre-AIDS) and 1980's.

At first, I wasn't sure that I would like this book because I felt that it was like reading a classics, like The Scarlet Letter, which I vehemently hated. However, I kept on reading and enjoyed the novel. Buddies eventually spanned into a series of 4 or 5 books. I'll definitely be picking up the 2nd book soon.

*********

News of the Day:

Homeless deaf mute man accused in LIC murder "Deaf mute" is still being used? Goodness!

Woman sues WVSDB for breaking leg on stairs

Video Relay explained, along with concerns

Well, ta ta for now...

|