<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Monday, September 11, 2006

5 Years Later 

Today is 9/11. Anytime we see "9/11", we immediately think of the horrible incidents in 2001, with planes crashing into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.

I noticed something common about this particular anniversary. The question, "where were you on 9/11?" has been posted everywhere.

I remembered that day vividly.

First of all, I had just graduated from Gallaudet with my Bachelor's that recent May. I was working for Yes! Organic Foods store in Eastern Market as a cashier. I was looking for a better job, which I eventually found as an SRA at Gallaudet a couple of weeks later.

I was living at the Deaf apartment, across from Gallaudet. However, I was hardly ever there was I was staying over at KT's place instead.

KT and I were nearing our 1 year anniversary of being together.

KT had just started his first day at the law firm the previous day.

So, KT was at work, his second day. I was visiting Gallaudet, grabbing up chances to meet with friends and networking.

I remember leaving HMB and walking home to the Deaf apartment. I remember walking near the revolving door of the library when someone approached me. I think his name was John. Little guy with glasses and thick mustache. I think he used to hang out with Jerome and Billy (from Canada). Anyone else remember him?

Anyways, he came up to me and said that a plane crashed into the WTC. I remember being pissed off with him. I told him, "don't you ever joke about anything like that!" I thought that was just a cruel thing to say. I walked off. I guess I didn't give him a chance to explain. I remember his confused look, now that I look back. We were always friendly with each other. I think it was the first time he ever saw me being in another mood other than friendly.

By the time I got to the Ely area, I started to see everyone talking about the plane crash and everyone walking towards HMB. Curiosity got the best of me and I joined the collective trip to HMB. We congregated in the atrium to watch the TV, posted next to the Laruent Clerc thumbprint portrait.

Along with Ridor and Kekua, we were just floored by what we were seeing before our very eyes. We stood there for a long while. I remember trying to fathom that anything like this could ever happen on American soil.

I remember that we couldn't send nor receive pages and being frustrated.

Somehow, a few hours later, I ended up back to KT's place. KT was already home. Work had closed early due to the chaotic news and the Metro threatening to shut down for security purposes.

Never before had I ever felt so secured in KT's arms. It was just nice to be with someone and realize that we cannot take life for granted. Of course, I had to call my folks, as they would have had a heart attack if they had not heard from me.

After giving my folks the assurance that I was ok and was with KT, we spent the day and night, glued to the tube, replaying horrible images of 9/11.

|