<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Richmond 

Spent the weekend in Richmond for a weekend workshop. Arrived the night before to check out the town. Before, just usually drove through Richmond on the way to Durham. So, this was my chance to check out the town.

The only thing that I knew about Richmond was that it is the site of the nation's best forensic science/pathology/training. Plus, one of my favorite authors, Patricia Cornwell, resides there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So, my colleague and I get there and checked into a hotel. However, having skipped lunch, we were starving. So, we headed over to Barcode, which was supposed to be the hottest gay bar (& restaurant) in Richmond. The food was alright but the service was great. We stayed there til about midnight, drinking and catching up with news and whatnots. We met a couple of guys who knew some signs. Of course, they knew signs only because their ex-boyfriends were Deaf. Of course!

We thought that maybe Barcode had put up a "misleading" advertisement that they were the best in town to attract people. So, we asked the patrons in Barcode if there was a better bar/club to check out. They all said that Barcode was indeed the best.

When we left the place to go back and rest up for the workshop, I had to wonder about something. When we arrived, there was a security guard standing outside. Initially, I thought "wow, how nice" that one had been provided so that gay patrons would feel secured. But, when I left, I asked myself why was there a security guard in the first place. Had there been harrassment or violence against gay patrons? So, I wonder...how would you feel if you came into a place where there was a security guard stationed outside? Would you feel safe or would you feel wary?

Anyways, the workshop was great. It was nice to meet other professionals in ASL & interpreting programs in some parts of Virginia. The workshop was beneficial but overwhelming at the same time. But, that's a good thing! You know that the workshop was good when you leave for the day and debate with your colleagues about certain issues.

So, it was a goooooood thing to be off Monday for President's Day. Ok, so I wasn't entirely off. I had to come in and teach a class. But that was it. Came back home and rested all day. Sooooo needed that!

A question: when is winter going away?!?!?!?!?

ta ta for now...

|