<$BlogRSDURL$>
CrispAds Blog Ads

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Vegan Baby Dies 

As a meat-eater, I could care less if you want to be a vegetarian or a vegan. Just don't preach it to me. I'll eat the meat and you can eat the vegetables.

I have friends who are vegetarians. They're vegetarians for a variety of reasons. Some are vegetarians for philosophical or religious reasons (usually Wiccanism). Some are for health reasons. Some are for whatever reasons.

I remember having a serious discussion with a vegetarian friend of mine when we were undergraduates at Gallaudet. I asked her if she'd raise her children as vegetarians. She confidentally replied that she would. And, I don't know, at that time, it bothered me. I don't know why.

Nowadays, how you raise your children is your own business. Of course, we all have our own personal opinions that we may or may not share with others.

This this morning, I read an article in the newspapers about a vegan couple being sentenced to life in prison because their 6-weeks-old baby died. The baby died, weighing only 3 1/2 pounds. The baby was on a vegan diet, drinking only soy milk and apple juice.

This article states that the vegan lifestyle is ok for children. However, this particular baby, Crown, died because he wasn't fed enough. Plus, the couple failed to take Crown to the hospital, fearing that it was infested with germs.

Apparently, one can raise a child as a vegetarian or vegan starting at birth. However, the baby must be fed regularly...with breast milk. (Like, duh!)

Whadda think?

Labels:


|